I had the pleasure of talking to some MS2 who are interested in surgery recently regarding the most optimal way to set up the their third year clerkship. The general ideas are below:
- Try to take surgery clerkship in the latter half of the year if you can. It helps if you have a decent understanding of medicine going in.
- OBGYN rotation gives you an introduction of how to act in the OR. Good idea to do it before surgery.
- When studying for the surgery shelf exam, study medicine! 95% of the questions are medicine.
- Get to know a mentor early on, so you can jump on a research project and ask for rec letter later.
- Research doesn’t have to be in the surgery specialty that you’re interested. First authorship is first authorship.